Roll20DND_1st

The next room - Anzovin
slow but steady progress

Matt (GM): 15′ × 15′ bedroom. It has a bed, a chest, and a desk and chair. The bed is nicely made. There is a nice woven rug spread on the floor of the room. Hanging above the bed is a small painting of a family: a man, a woman, and three children, ages ~5, ~9, and an infant.
(see revealed area to the left on the map)
Jeff G.: Don’t suppose we recognize anyone in the painting. Not a VIP or celebrity.
Matt (GM): Nope, no one recognizes them at all
Jeff G.: Scar makes a beeline for the chest
James H.: Well, this place is obviously not abandoned
Matt (GM): The chest is not locked. Inside the chest are a lot of personal effects, including a nice hand woven leather belt is a gold and silver buckle. It has a dolphin above a wave in raised gold on a silver background. The belt itself was blue and aquamarine woven together.
There is a thick layer of dust on everything, so it has been a LONG time since this stuff was disturbed
(that’s true of the whole dungeon
James H.: ah, OK. that was missing from your description
Matt (GM): Yes, it was
Jeff G.: Scar will remove the buckle from the belt.
Matt (GM): probalby worth 30-50 sp, not bad
Sitting on a shelf near the bed is a small book of prayers. There is a very nice leather scroll case in the bottom of the chest. In the scroll case are 3 scrolls.
Jeff G.: The people in the painting- human I assume?
Matt (GM): Yes, all 5 human
James H.: Brother Maynard wants to inspect the book of prayers
Thaniel wants to exam the scrolls
Matt (GM): The book is a standard prayer book for Clerics of Femalo, the God of the Seas/Water
It is well used
but well taken care of
James H.: So, this is most likely a cleric’s abode
Matt (GM): Teh scrolls:
One has very childlike drawings on it with the words “Love Tirach” scrawled.
Jeff G.: Reg will casually wander over and take a look at the desk
Matt (GM): One is a nice note from an 8 or 9 year old to his father. It talks about dad going away and serving the Lord. That one day I’ll see you again in the land of the dead. Etc. Signed “Your Son Benrus”.
On the desk is a piece of parchment with the following note: “Dearest Juliene, The time is coming for me to leave this world and be with Lord Andap. I have thought about you and our children often and I pray daily for your safety. I know that you all are well and will be taken care of. If, somehow, you should get this note, be assured that I do still love you and I know that we will meet again in the land of the dead. I will spend tonight praying under the full moon and tomorrow we shall die. My beloved, do not weep for me but know that I die in the service of our lord. Love, Anzovin.” Sitting on top of the note is a silver ring with a small sapphire set in it.
THe final scroll has:
The most touching is from Anzovin’s wife. “Dearest Anzovin, I love you and will miss you. I will always be your faithful wife. The kids and I will miss you, but I understand that you are serving Femalo and you can count on our unity in his service. All the people in Brambak have offered us their support and help. Do not worry about us but see to your duties. If you get a chance to look up at a full moon, know that we will be sitting out under that same moon and thinking about you. I have to go now before I get to sentimental. Go in peace and know that we will be taken care of. Love Juliene your ever faithful wife. PS – Maria also loves you” and there is the hand print of an infant.
James H.: very touching
Matt (GM): The ring is worth anohter 100 sp, give or take
Jeff G.: Scara mutters something about how they sure sold him a bill of goods.
James H.: OOC: you mentioned Lord Andap, then Femalo. Two separate beings or did you make an error there?
Matt (GM): two seperate beings
James H.: ok
Matt (GM): nice to make sure I got it right
the two will become more distinct as you progress through the dungeon
You all do recognize the name Brambak. It is a largeish town on the main lake in teh middle of the inhabited area of this island
Sort of a center of commerce and such for the area
probably 2-300 miles from here down river (from Plimdoc)
James H.: So, Anzovin is a cleric of Femalo and is serving Lord Andap
Matt (GM): yes, that is the gist of the information you just got
plus some of his family relationships
James H.: OK, just so it is clear
Jeff G.: Wrong tense. “Was” not “is”
Matt (GM): And that is all the text I have prepared for this room
true
James H.: OOC: so, take the prayer book ad scrolls along with us or leave them here?
Matt (GM): Not sure that is truely OOC
Jeff G.: Are they valuable?
Matt (GM): I see that being a very valid discussion for the 6 characters
James H.: I doubt they have monetary value but they may be important later, information-wise
OK, in character then
Matt (GM): either way
James H.: Brother Maynard is asking
Jeff G.: Scar doesn’t give a rat’s ass about them. If someone else wants to lug them around…
Matt (GM): Lareniel see no big difference either way. Taking them is not a problem so if we want to, lets do it
Kodana thinks they are touching and would be willing to carry them
James H.: All yours then, Kodana
Matt (GM): I assume Scar has already pocketed the ring and the buckle?
unless someone else grabbed (or watched) the ring first
Jeff G.: of course
Matt (GM): If you hadn’t figured it out, it’s probably a wedding ring
anything else in here?
Jeff G.: don’t think so, but I’m not thinking particularly well at the moment
James H.: I think we are done in the room
Matt (GM): you’ve gotten all the info I know of out of this room
James H.: did anyone check under the bed for anything?
Matt (GM): No, but there isn’t anything there anyway
Jeff G.: I saw an ogre under the bed, but he held his finger to his lips so I didn’t say anything
Matt (GM): good plan, don’t piss off the ogre
James H.: do not meddle in the affairs of ogres because … I got nothin’
Jeff G.: I’m sorry, I’m about to drop off, I’ve had a long hard day today.
Matt (GM): you are crunchy and good with ketchup

View
Getting to the Hole in the Ground
Our first adventure

Matt (GM): The deal on teh table is 5% of the cash, not counting gems, jewlery, or tiems. He get the larger demoniation coins where possible
No minimum profit guarentied
James H.: so far sounds as equitable as anything else
Jeff G.: After lots of hemming and hawing, Scar will finally accept that deal. I don’t see the need to play that out.
James H.: dman the GM disappeared
and he’s back
Matt (GM): I thought I saw a blip for a moment
So do you all want to start this afternoon or first thing in the morning?
asks Anthony
It’s about an hour’s walk from here
Jeff G.: Scar: “It’s always nightime underground. No point in waiting.”
James H.: OOC: sooner would be better if his son is in trouble. if he doesn’t feel there is a sense of urgency we could start in the morning
Matt (GM): Kodana: The sooner we start teh sooner we’ll finish
Jeff G.: Reg: “I wasn’t planning on anything else today.”
Matt (GM): The only trouble the son is in is not having told me where he was a walking before he headed out a few days ago. The hole doesn’t pose any threat that Anthony knows about
Other than being an unknown, which is always a bit scary
James H.: OOC: Sounds like we have a consensus to leave now
Matt (GM): Let’s go for it
Anthony: let me get my walking stick and we’ll head out.
Jeff G.: OOC: The longer we hang around here, the more likely Scar is going to think “screw 5%” and decide to ventilate Anthony’s kindneys.
Now, you may think that’s a good reason to wait longer,, or not.
Matt (GM): He disappears to teh back for a minutes and returns carrying a nice walking stick and a dog leash
As you all step out the front door, he whistles and two BIG dogs (well, Scar definitelys thinks they are big) come bounding up
James H.: no dog with the leash
Jeff G.: Scar, under his breath, “Dogs. I hate dogs.”
Matt (GM): When the dogs see you all they stop and the hair on their backs stand up a bit, but they don’t go off at you
Anthony walks up to one and clips the leash on, tells the other to stay and then turns to you all
Ready?
James H.: Certainly
Jeff G.: Now, if wew had pizza with us… their hair would still stand up. )-:
Matt (GM): This is Mud. He was born in a mud puddle and the name just stuck
Jeff G.: Scar: Mud has a way of doing that… sticking , I mean.
Matt (GM): I figure he’d like the walk and I’d like the company on the way back
That it does
James H.: Maynard: And a fine specimen of a dog, he is
Jeff G.: Reg does a slight, elvishy bow to Mud, cause elves are all more attuned to nature and all that.
Matt (GM): Yes, he really is a big dog, probaby weighs 100 pounds, sort of like a german sheppard, but bigger
James H.: part wolf, maybe?
Matt (GM): Probably
Reg is fairly sure there’s wolf blood in tehre somewhere
but he’s seems to be a nice enough dog and walks well on the leash
Jeff G.: Scar positions himself BEHIND the dog
Matt (GM): As Anthony said, it’s about an hour’s walk to the north and you’ll come to a valley between two hills
Anthony tells you that the hole is up this valley and heads into it
The valley has sort of steep sides (certainly easy to climb, but not easy to walk up)
The valley opens to the west
James H.: so if it rains, this place will fill up with water
Matt (GM): 5 minutes later (he looks like he’s getting a bit more nervous as he goes, and Mud seems to be feeding off he anxiousness
Jeff G.: Scar begins to shistle
Matt (GM): Well, it wold probalby become a nice stream goin out of the valley
Jeff G.: Whistle, that is
Matt (GM): Anthony: the hole is right up there (pointing toward the east) maybe 100 yards
Jeff G.: That was a quick mile
Matt (GM): Mud and I ‘ll just stay here if your OK with that
When you get out just come back to the farmhouse and I’ll be there
Jeff G.: Reg: We will, when we return. (bows)
Scar, under his breath: unless we find another exit.
Matt (GM): Thank you very much, adn nathony turns to walk back the way you all came
To his credit, he manages to walk back along the path, not run
Although he does peer back over his shoulder several times
James H.: Maynard: Does he seem a bit jittery to anyone else?
Jeff G.: Reginald scans the surroundings, looking for anything that would account for Anthony’s neervousness
Scar: Aye, he does. Don’t know why.
Matt (GM): Nothing special seems to be there. It’s a farily nice valley
Jeff G.: OOC: uness it’s the 100 zombies that are climbing out of the hole.
Matt (GM): The hole is indeed about 100 yards to the east, just to the west of a small grove of trees
More tothe norht than the west
but it is not really obscured by them from where you are
The hole is aobut 5’ wide and 10’ long, sort of pointed at the ends
Jeff G.: Reg: Well if I were paranoid, I would say it feels like we’re being set up for something, but I can’t imagine what.
Matt (GM): Inside it is dark, not supernaturally so, but dark. The sun is shining in and there is a beam of sun hitting the surface of the watrer about 40’ down
Jeff G.: Scar pulls a Pippen, finds a big rock and drops it into the hole, waiting for the splash
Matt (GM): it’s about a second and a hlaf until it hits
maybe a bit less
James H.: OOC: Fool of a Took!
Jeff G.: He makes a show of calculating the depth based on the amount of time, but he really has no idea
Matt (GM): There is a slight echo, but not too much, so the cavern is not too large
James H.: Did anyone bring rope?
Matt (GM): Someone has a 50’ coil
maybe even 2 of you all
Jeff G.: If nothing else, Anthony probably would have sold us some rope.
Is there a trunk or a sapling or a rock we can tie the rope around?
Matt (GM): Sure, that grove of trees is maybe 10’ from the hole
Map is about to shift
Jeff G.: OOC: but wait, is it ELVISH rope that will come when it’s called?
The map… it’s shifting!
Matt (GM): I know you’re not in a corridor yet, and I have no idea who is what letter, but at lesat we have some visuals now
did the map shift for you all?
Do you see six tokens in a corridor?
Jeff G.: yes
Matt (GM): THey are int he upper left corner of the map
Jeff G.: upper right
Matt (GM): true
it’s late
James H.: yep, the map shifted and there are four tokens!
no, six
Jeff G.: most of the map is still black, I am assuming that is intentional.
Matt (GM): yes
I have several battle setup’s on one map to make things easier
This is a generic corridor
So who goes first down the hole?
I assume a fighter type
Jeff G.: Reg will go
Fighter-thief, the primary skills to go 1st
Matt (GM): OK so Reg will go first, then how quickly do the rest follow him and in what order
Jeff G.: though he has abysmally lo hit points…
James H.: Tahniel will follow Reg
Brother Maynard will bring up the rear
Matt (GM): OK, and Larineil will come next
Do we wait for him to get off the rope before trying to climb it ourselves?
Jeff G.: Scar will go after Larinell
Matt (GM): And is he tied onthe rope and lowered, or do you climb down it?
Jeff G.: I believe Reg would prefer to be free to move
Matt (GM): climbing is d20-level versus dex, or a climb walls roll
Jeff G.: Reg has 85% climb walls
Matt (GM): you can use Roll20’s die roller or roll one yourself
if his dex is better than 16 he’s better off witht he d20-level
Jeff G.: rolling 1d100
(
1
)
= 1
Matt (GM): I’d say that made it nicely
you wanted 85 or less
Jeff G.: I assume that was a percentile roll
Matt (GM): You do a Xena style leap and tumble and make the Monk jealous
Jeff G.: testing
rolling 1d100
(
63
)
= 63
Matt (GM): The water is farily cold, but not dangerously so (unless you stay in it for a long time
Jeff G.: ok, just aa very good roll
Matt (GM): it is about 4’ deep +/- a foot depending on where you stand
Jeff G.: is there dry ground anywhere, or is it all water?
Matt (GM): The east end of hte cavern (it’s about a 30′ × 60′ cavern) has a small alnding on it
James H.: rolling 1d100
(
81
)
= 81
Matt (GM): While leaving the wolf encounter, one party member will step and fall into the hole above the pool of water. The pool is only 4’ deep and poses no hazard to anyone other than a hobbit in metal armor. Once your eyes adapt to the dark
you see that: You have just fallen about 40 feet and landed in a pool of water. The water is only about 4 feet deep. but it is quite dark in here and it will take a moment or two before you can really see anything. Once your eyes adapt you see that you are in a rather large room. It has nicely finished stone walls and a flat ceiling, other than around the area you fell in through, which is sort of a cone. The top of the cone is about 40’ above you.
The Pool: Looking around the room you see that the pool is about 30 feet x 60 feet with steps leading out on the east side to a flat landing about 15’ deep and 30’ wide. There is a table and chairs on the left side and a fire pit on the right side.
forget the wolf stuff, I cut and psted too much from an old adventure
Jeff G.: Reg will head to the landing
Matt (GM): The others can start heading down
The landing is 15′ × 30′ and the back wall has three doors on it
By the time you get to the landing, the next person will be down to the water
etc.
James H.: I figured it was just proof that Anthony’s canine was part or all wolf
Matt (GM): – The landing is 15’ by 30’ and has a table and chairs at the north end and a fire pit with grill at the south. There are three doors on the east wall and a pool of water on the west. The fire pit has about 12" worth of ash in the bottom. To the left of the fire pit is a small pile of wood, mostly decayed now. The north and south doors do not lock, the central one does and is locked.
it takes a few round to investigae all that, so at least most of the party is there by now if not all of it
The dwarf and the hobbit and not too happy about being underwater. Kodana accepts it as part of beign underground, but I suspect Scar is not happy at all
I assume that he doesnot swim either?
being a hobbit and all
Jeff G.: I rather doubt it
Matt (GM): It’s certainly not life threatening, but to hear Scar tell about it you’d think the world was about to end
Jeff G.: Scar probably flounders about in the water until someone assists him
James H.: Brother Maynard will give the poor little hobbit a hand
Matt (GM): Kodana jus holds her breathand walks along the bottom tot he landing
Jeff G.: Screaming and yelling, and don’t expect him to show any gratitude
Matt (GM): Nice to know that all wandering monsters within 300’ know you all are here
Jeff G.: Meanwhile, Reg is goig to attempt to unlock the middle door- though he’ll FART it first
Matt (GM): roll it
Jeff G.: rolling 1d100
(
6
)
= 6
rolling 1d100
(
99
)
= 99
rolling 1d100
(
97
)
= 97
rolling 1d100
(
10
)
= 10
Matt (GM): wow, you’re on a streak
Jeff G.: rolling 1d100
(
43
)
= 43
rolling 1d100
(
60
)
= 60
Matt (GM): There were no traps you found (roll=6)
Jeff G.: don’t know where that second roll came from
Matt (GM): you then tried to remove a non-existant trap and fialed (roll=99)
Then you tried to unlock the door and rolled a 97, so that failed
and I don’t know what the 10 was for?
Jeff G.: I have no idea why all those rolls happened
I was trying to type a comment and all those rolls popped up instead
but if you want, the 10 can be Scar’s unlock roll
Matt (GM): OK, want to hit reset on the FART roll and try them one at a time?
That works for me
Jeff G.: either way,
Matt (GM): however it will be a few minutes before Scar can settle down enough after nearly drowning to try it
Jeff G.: naturally
Matt (GM): After 3 or 4 minutes of sputtering anc cursing, Scar regains his composure and unlocks the central door
but he has not yet opened it, just unlocked it
Jeff G.: He just casually walks up, still coughing and sputtering, and barely looking at the door he unlocks it.
Matt (GM): I know, he asks Reg if he looked under the mat for the key
Jeff G.: “What? I’m supposed to open it too? You combat types can open it, I just unlock it. [cough, cough]”
Matt (GM): The area behidn the door is a 10’ wide corridor
Jeff G.: Scar backs away form the door.
Matt (GM): What is your light source?
Jeff G.: Reg: We do have 2 other doors as well. Unlocking the one is certainly a good start, but that doesn’t necessrily mean that’s the one we want to open first."
Matt (GM): In the cavern it’s not too bad due to the sun, but behind this door you can expect it to be dark
Jeff G.: “Hey! I don’t need light to unlock a door! I’m that good!”
Matt (GM): Has anyone else been investiageing these other doors while Scar regained his breath?
Kodana wold have if no one else wanted to, unless she were cautioned not to by the party
The left door:
A 10′ × 10′ food storage room. There were 3 crates of dried fruit and 2 crates of jerky, as well as 3 barrels of ale in the room, but all is now spoiled. There are also 2 dozen empty crates and barrels.
James H.: Maynard has 20% chance to FART a door
Matt (GM): Oh, Kodana just waked up and opened the left door, sorry about that
walked
Jeff G.: you already said the 23 outer doors were unlocked
Matt (GM): yes, tehy are, but they cold still be trapped
Jeff G.: 2 doors, not 23
Matt (GM): Kodana never considered that possibility
Jeff G.: technically that is true, but I bet I could count on the fingers of 1 hand the number of times we found a door that was unlocked but trapped.
Matt (GM): true
Jeff G.: People who trap doors have this obsessive compulsion to lock them as well
Matt (GM): Anyway, is anyone else going to open teh right door?
Jeff G.: exception: hidden or secret doors
Matt (GM): granted
Jeff G.: my 2 guys were both on the center door
James H.: Maynard will FART the right door
rolling 1d100
(
79
)
= 79
Jeff G.: go for it
Matt (GM): No clue if it is or is not trapped
Jeff G.: It wasn’t trapped before: it is now
James H.: Well, he’s got a 25% chance to open the lock
Matt (GM): you are, however, very convinced that it is indeed an unlocked door
roll it
James H.: rolling 1d100
(
10
)
= 10
Woohoo!
Matt (GM): Wel done, you here an audidle click and the door locks
James H.: Pbpbpbptpffff!
Matt (GM): :)
Jeff G.: But did he set a trap on it?
Matt (GM): Actually, there is no locking mechanism on the outer two doors anyway
so it does not lock, but it was fun to say it did
it is, for all intensive purposes, an unlocked, untrapped door
Jeff G.: “Brother Maynard, did you perchance learn your lockpicking at a place called Texas A&M?”
James H.: Why, yes, ys I did. Why do you ask?
Jeff G.: Can we look in the room?
Matt (GM): A 10′ × 10′ storage room for wood. There used to be several piles of wood in this room. The piles are still remnant. It is decidedly cooler in this room than in the outer chamber.
Jeff G.: Ok, let’s figure out light source and then open the middle door, which has undoubtably untold hordes of enenmies behind it.
Matt (GM): are the doors of the outer two rooms left open or closed?
Jeff G.: Scar pulls a torch out of his backpack, tries to shake all the water off of it, then throws it down in disgust.
We leave them exactly as we found them.
Matt (GM): It probably takes 15 minutes to get a flint and steel to light a torch, but eventually you al have a lit torch
Jeff G.: right, who wants to open the middle door?
Scar will pass.
James H.: Whoever want to open the door take one step forward

James H. takes a step back
Matt (GM): LARINEIL WILL STEP UP AND OPEN THE DOOR
James H.: both my characters step back
Matt (GM): silly caps lock
Jeff G.: Reg will open it, but figures a full fledged fighter really ought to be the guy.
Matt (GM): Behind the door is a long smooth 10’ wide corridor. Your light only lights about 60’ in front of you. There is a door on the right at the 50’ point and one on the left at 60’. As you walk down to the doors, the corridor continues beyond the range of the light.
Thusly
I guess they’re not doors but side corridors
that will eventually lead to doors
Jeff G.: the doors are invisible
Shall we proceed, then?
James H.: let’s proceed
Matt (GM): COrridor, very long, very dark, you go first
Jeff G.: Need we set marching order yet?
Matt (GM): Not really
When we get to doors it will be important
I’ll use “A” as a party marker
I assum eyou all can see what i am revealing on the map?
Jeff G.: I assume so
I asm seeing things, whether it’s what you want me to see, well I dunno
James H.: I’m seeing things on the map
Jeff G.: we are apparently looking down the corridor to the right.
Matt (GM): At least you are seeing things
Jeff G.: Maybe we should see a doctor…
Matt (GM): or to the left, you see them both and I figure you’ll glance down the second even if you decide to investiage the first first
Jeff G.: but the party marker is on the right corridor
Matt (GM): yes
if you all want to go to the left, just tell me and we’ll go there (or you can even SPLIT THE PARTY and go to them both at once)
Jeff G.: why don’t we LOOK down both of them, and see if we see, if you see what I mean
afterwards, we can GO down one or both of them
Matt (GM): Both of them end at a door at the edge of what you currently see onthe map
Jeff G.: I see
Matt (GM): 25’ of 5’ wide corridor and then a door at the end
Jeff G.: “Which one, Randal?”
James H.: let’s go right
Jeff G.: right it is, tyhen
Matt (GM): So Scar goes to one door and Reg goes to teh other and they FART at teh same time?
Jeff G.: So are we saying that Scar is dyslexic?
Matt (GM): my teh’s?
As it gets later and later my typing goes down hill more and more
Jeff G.: no, we’re on different tracks completely.
James H.: let’s take the doors one at a time
Matt (GM): Pick A or B
Jeff G.: We said ‘go right’ and you had Scar and Reg going to oposite doors, so obviously Scar must be dyslexic.
Matt (GM): Sorry, I missed the “right” comment
my bad
We’re good
James H.: bad GM, no cookiej
Matt (GM): It is worth lineing up now
Do you fill the corridor?
We’ll assign positions in a moment
James H.: Let’s be foolish and line up in the corridor
Jeff G.: Well, A must be either Scar or Reg
Matt (GM): There is a nameplate onthe door that says: Rennial
Jeff G.: let’s say Reg on the off chance that there’s fighting just beyond the door
Matt (GM): So Reg is “A”
James H.: Thaniel will be behind REg
Matt (GM): Really it’s not a big deal this time, but it’s nice to have a structure
Thaniel is “B”
Kodana should be eitehr D or E
James H.: Maynard will bring up the rear
Jeff G.: I figure Scar is F. But he should move 1 square down; he’s up against the other wall, right next to the other corridor
exactly
Matt (GM): OK
Anyway, the door is not trapped, but it is locked
Jeff G.: best place for a back is against a wall
rolling 1d100
(
54
)
= 54
It’s still locked.
Matt (GM): Next try?
don’t worry abou tshifting the order right now
just roll it
James H.: rolling 1d100
(
76
)
= 76
Jeff G.: Scar will try
rolling 1d100
(
25
)
= 25
James H.: Brother Maynard did not unlock it
Jeff G.: rolling 1d100
(
77
)
= 77
Matt (GM): Why two rolls?
Jeff G.: yes!
Matt (GM): The first got it
THe door is now unlocked
Jeff G.: stupid program
I was commenting on my brilliant roll, but the computer obviosly thought I was still rolling dice.
Matt (GM): 15′ × 15′ bedroom. It has a bed, a chest, and a chair. The bed is fixed nicely and there is a stuffed teddy bear sitting on it. A hand knitted spread is sitting on the chest. The chest is not locked. In it you will find various personal effects. After digging are reading papers for a few minutes you can determine that this room was occupied by Rennial, a servant of Lord Andap. It appears that the Lord died in the year 937.
Jeff G.: When I hit the enter key, it rolled the die again instead of printing my awesome text
Matt (GM): (it si now the year 1015)
Jeff G.: Scar will pull out his dagger and find out exactly what the teddy bear is stuffed with.
Matt (GM): looks like raw wool
Jeff G.: sheisse
no valuables hidden within the wool?
Matt (GM): nope
James H.: Maynard: Hey, that teddy bear was loved by someone once. have a little respect
Matt (GM): there’s probably 5-10 silver peices of stuff in the room
a candle stick or two, the chair, etc, but no “treasure” is in here
Jeff G.: Scar: Respect and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
James H.: Do we know anything about Lord Andap? any lore, legends, gossip, etc?
Jeff G.: He liked teddy bears.
Matt (GM): Not really, the name is sort of familiar, but no one remembers anything specific about him
James H.: At least his servant Rennial did
Jeff G.: any other exits?
Matt (GM): nope
neither normal nor secret
Jeff G.: try the other door, I guess
Matt (GM): Name plate says: Anzovin
Jeff G.: locked?
Matt (GM): yes, but no trap
Jeff G.: reg will try the lock
Matt (GM): this is a simpler lock, +10 to unlock
Jeff G.: rolling 1d100
(
72
)
= 72
Scar will try the lock
rolling 1d100
(
99
)
= 99
Matt (GM): it used to be a simpler lock, now it is a high security lock
Jeff G.: definitely locked
Brother Maynard?
James H.: rolling 1d100
(
78
)
= 78
Yes, it is locked alright
Matt (GM): Do we kick through it, or go further?
Jeff G.: let’s go on; we can try it again on the way out
Matt (GM): Judging by the last room , if this is similiar, kicking it should be simple enough
James H.: I guess let’s move on and come back to this one
(everybody remember we have to come back to this one on the way back out of here)
Matt (GM): and I think we’ll also call it a night here
Jeff G.: sounds reasonable
James H.: fair enough
I’ve got to get up early in the morning to head to Dallas
Matt (GM): we’ll start back up next week
I have to give a final exam in the morning
Jeff G.: gotta get my oil changed in the am
James H.: is that the last final of the semester or do you have others you have to administer later?
Matt (GM): This is hte last for this semester
With luck I’ll finish grading over the weekend and be done with it until August
James H.: woohoo!
Jeff G.: yea!
Matt (GM): Talk to you all next week
good night
James H.: be seeing you
Jeff, you’ve still got a key to the house?

View
Session 1: Meet and Greet
Getting the ball rolling

Matt (GM): Possibly, but we digress
So, you all are sitting around the table in the local tavern, having just met recently
Jeff G.: Scar drinks some beer and sings a ditty about killing orcs.
Matt (GM): in general you all stick out from teh locals as being visitors.
There is no problem, as people come through here fairly often
There are probably half a dozen other travellers staying the ngiht in the inn attached to the tavern
At some point in the evening, and local steps over to your table and asks
Local: Are you all adventurers?
Jeff G.: Aside: Did I mention how Scar really hates dumb questions?
Reginald: Why, yes I think you could say we are adventurers. HOw may we help you?
Kodana slowly hangs her head and sighs
Local: Well, my son, Stephen, was walkign with some of his friends in the hills around our place and it seems they found something
James H.: Brother Maynard thinks to himself ‘Locals …’
Local: he described it to me as a hole in the ground with water in it
Jeff G.: Scar is sizing this fellow up as an oportunity for wealth aquisition. Does he look wealthy at all?
Local: while that’s not too unusual, I have a feeling theres more to it than that, since e seemed a bit scared to talk about it
James H.: He found a well?
Matt (GM): He doesn’t look wealthy, but he probably has property and some holdings. Certainly not nodle status
Jeff G.: Scar REALLY wants to know if there is a pocket worth picking here
otherwise he might have to kill him just out of boredom, and that kinda thing tends to upset the locals…
Local: well, it was more of a chamber, and it had 3 doors in it, or so he tells
Jeff G.: He found a root cellar?
James H.: Thaniel: A water filled chamber in a hole in the ground.
Jeff G.: brb, gotta move laundry
Local: His friend fell into the hole and they had to pull him out with a rope
James H.: Thaniel thinks to herself ‘They found a hobbit hole …’
Local: Anyway, I was hoping to find a group of adventurers who might take a look around as see what this place is
James H.: Brother Maynard: Is there anything else you can tell us about this hole?
Did it used to be the site of a home or dwellling?
Local: That’s all i know. If you’d like to talk to my son, you can come by our farm in teh morning and see if he’ll tell you anything more than he told me
James H.: Any local wizards that might have had a hidden alcove to practice their arts?
local: not that we know of. We were quite surprised to hear anything was in that valley
Local: Well, we have had a few wizards go through here, but I don’t know as any of them set up shop in teh area
Jeff G.: Scar thinks he could ask the local guild if they know anything about it… then things again, it might be better if they don’t know anything about it.
Matt (GM): That’s your call. Remember that the Guild get 10% of anything you find with their help
Standard rate
Jeff G.: yeah, that’s why the 2nd thought
James H.: And they probably want 10% of anything you find without their help too
Jeff G.: 10% of anything they know about
anyway, has local guy left yet, or does Scar have to keep fighting down his urges?
Matt (GM): Rigth now he’s still sitting there, but he’s looking uncomfortable and starting to fidgit a bit
he looks like he’s waiting for you all to say something
Jeff G.: Reg: Let my companions and me discuss it, and perhaps we’ll get back to you. How can we find you? and where is this hole?
Local: My anme is Anthony and I have a farm just up in the hills
Jeff G.: Scar is staring straight at local
Local: If you head out of town to teh northwest, you’ll see widow Agnes’ farm o the left hill top
go by that to the right and head out another 3-4 miles
ours is the next farm on teh hilltop to your right. Yellow farmhouse, brown shutters
James H.: Thaniel: We will discuss this amongst ourselves and let you know
Loacl: Do you all think you can check it out for me. I am very curious, but well, crawling around in holes with doors is a bit creepy if you take my meaning
Local: Thank you. i hope to see you all in the morning
Local rises and heads out the door
Jeff G.: Scar: What are we, exterminators or something? Pest controll?
kodana: It’s not like we have a lot else to do in teh town. it’s as exciting as watching moss grow on rocks. I know, ‘cause I’ve had to do that before
Jeff G.: Scar starts to order another beer, then frowns, feels around in his pocket, then says, “It wouldn’t hurt to take a look, I suppose.”
Scar: we shoulda asked him how much he was paying us.
kodana: besides, can you imagine the looks on teh locals faces if we come back and tell tehm a Lich is living in their back yard. Just the reaction might be worth it :)
James H.: Thaniel: We set our price and he can pay it or not
Jeff G.: Scar wonders if there is something worth stealing at this farmhouse
Reg: I’ve been among mortal kind only a short while, but my limited experience has suggested that epic events usually have simple, unremarkable beginnings
Matt (GM): Lareniel: I wouldn’t mind getting out of town and seeing the countryside for a while, i say we go to his house tomorrow adn see what the deal is
Jeff G.: Scar: well, it’s that, or watch the paint peel here.
Matt (GM): Kodana: Again, couldn’t be more boring than sitting in this hell hole and rotting to death doing nothing
kodana motions to the barmaid to bring another ale
James H.: Thaniel: If we can find out what is going on and help out the locals as well, that would be good
Matt (GM): BTW, jim, did you ever figure out your starting spell books?
We should do that before we get started adventuring in earnest
James H.: no haven had a chance to pick out spells yet’t
Jeff G.: Reg: Well, strangely enough, we seem to have consensus here.Brother Maynard, what are your thoughts?
Matt (GM): That needs to happen before we get to the dungeon
James H.: did my character basics this afternoon then been at the makerspace all evening
Matt (GM): That’s fine, i suspect we’ll get to the entrance tonight, but not go in until next week
James H.: Maynard; Getting coin from this endeavor will help pay for the next round of mead
Jeff G.: We have a farmhouse to ransack first! (-:
Scar: We’ll get along, Brother.
kodana *Beeeelch. She nods to teh friar

Matt (GM) The next morning dawns and teh dawn passes, then you all wake up and start dragging yourselves out of bed and into the common room
Jeff G.: You mean we left the common room? (-:
Scar: “Hair of the dog, pleasse”
Matt (GM): Some of you all did, I mean there may be pick pockets floating around and you wouldn’t want to e their mark
James H.: Order breakfast
Jeff G.: You have to have something in your pocket worth picking for that to matter…
Matt (GM): Kodana: So what should we try and take this yokel for?
Jeff G.: Scar: However much he has.
James H.: Thaniel: That depends on what we are facing. Hard t set a price on little information
Jeff G.: Reg: Surely there is more motivation here than just money?
Matt (GM): Kodana: I’m interesting getting out and doing something, but I don’t mind turning a profit along the way. If we’re helpful as well, i can handle that
Jeff G.: I mean, money is shinly and it buys the next drink, but there is something more to it then that?
There is beauty to be seen in this world, else I’ve made a big mistake, and… oh never mind, let’s go take this wretched fool.
Matt (GM): Lareniel: I’m interested in seeing what this thing is. Doors underground sound like more than a commoner should have to deal with
Jeff G.: Scar: A hobbit dug his hole without realizing how high the water table was. That’s all this is, I’ll wager.
Matt (GM): Kodana: Given the hobbits around here, you’re probably right
Kodana: but let’s stretch our legs and head out there
Using his directions, youd guess it would be 5 miles or so to his farmhouse
Jeff G.: Scar: I’ve known some pretty stupid hobbits in my time. ‘Course I’ve known a few dwarves with some loose screws as well.
Matt (GM): Kodana: You can say that again!
That makes it an hour and a half to 2 hour walk
Jeff G.: I’ve never even tried to make any sense of elves before… geggin’ your pardon and all that.
Matt (GM): If you time it right you can arrive a lunch time and get a meal off him
Jeff G.: soundds like a plan
Matt (GM): since you are his invited guests
Jeff G.: Scar: did somebody say lunch?
James H.: Eat breakfast, pay the tab, and head out I guess
Matt (GM): So around 9:30 or so you all get all dressed adn decked out in your adventurer garb and head out to the farmhouse
Jeff G.: Reg, aside to Thaniel: Money and food. Do mortals think about anything else?
Matt (GM): You can wave at the Widow Agnes as you go by
Jeff G.: or not
James H.: Thaniel: They have a limited appreciation of the finer subtleties of life
Matt (GM): An hour or so later you cleearly see the yellow farmhouse with brown shutters off to the right
Jeff G.: Let’s go knock
Matt (GM): As you approach you see the guy out in the field picking peppers from the bushes
He wave to you and gets up to walk your way
Local: : I’m so glad you decided to come out
Come in and lets have a sit down
James H.: Thaniel: It would be remiss of us to not try and help
Jeff G.: (we shoulda picked a negotiator)
Local: My son and the boys should be back down in a little while for lunch
Will you join us at table?
Jeff G.: Scar’s ears perk at the word “lunch”
James H.: Brother Maynard: We would be pleased to dine with you
Local Calls out in a sort of loud voice to the back of the house "Sherry, we got company for lunch, add 6 places round the table
Sherry: Who’d you bring over this time, I’ll have to get Stephen to grab a few chairs from teh deck
Really Authur I wold like more notice….
Sherry waks around the corner and stops short staring at you all
Sherry: I’m sorry, I did not realize you all were here.
James H.: Brother Maynard: Good morrow, madam
Sherry: Authur, may I speak to you in the Kitchen
Jeff G.: Scar, under breath: I thought hisname ws Anthony…
Sherry: Good morrow to you as well good friar. Welcome to our humble home
Matt (GM): (An honest mistake from a sleep GM, it’s the same name, or should be)
Jeff G.: just wondered. Coulda been a sign of something mysterious
Local excuses himself and he and Sherry hear into the back of the house
Matt (GM): Head, not hear
Jeff G.: Scar begins casing the joint
Matt (GM): my fingers are not cooperating now
Jeff G.: know the feeling
Matt (GM): It’s a simple farm house, certaily a few semi-valuable nick knacks sitting around, but far from opulent
James H.: Brother Maynard sidles up next to Scar and in a low voice says: It would be bad business to take from those about to hire us
Matt (GM): 10 minutes later Anthony steps back and asks your pardon for the delay. he invites you to follow him to the dinign room where people are startign to take their seats
All in all there are 15 chairs arond the table
When you get there, ther are still 5 (plus the 6 for you all) charis open
Sitting are young men and women age 15 up to maybe 30
Jeff G.: Reg: We seem to be crashing a party!
Matt (GM): more drift in over the next 2-3 minutes
Local: Not at all, these are my children and helpers
James H.: Brother Maynard thinks ‘This is a large family’
Local: Well, seth and hazel here just help out with the farm work,
Matt (GM): Maxine, Stephen, Donald, Frothel, and Jynth and my kids and their wifes Martha and betty
And then there’s ma and pa
(that shold be “ARE my kids”, not"and my kids"
stupid fingers
It’s anug fit to get everyone around the table
Jeff G.: Reg stands and gives a formal elven greeting
Matt (GM): The meal is a nice one, but not at all fancy
Cheese, salad, vegetables, mead, bread and honey
Everyone, other than kodana, stops and give Reg their attention
James H.: Brother Maynard is very interested in the mead and is willing to talk with anyone who will listen about it
Matt (GM): Themeal starts ans there is a lot of takl about the corps and peope asking for news of goinogs on around the area of you all
45 minutes later, most of the dishes are clean (well empty anyway)
As people start to clean the table, Anthony call out to Stephen and calls him over to meet you all
Jeff G.: Scar thinks if nothing else comes from this, at least he got a good meal
Matt (GM): a dialog ensues and you all find out that he knows very little about the hole
It is about 40 feet down to the water and the cave is pretty big
The water is maybe waist deep and there is a little landing toward one end
James H.: what are the three doors made of?
Matt (GM): on the landing there are 3 doors, but it was pretty dark and that’s all they saw
Looked like wood on a stone wall
but we didnt really get close enough to make sure
James H.: Any distinguishing features of the doors? knockers or ornamentation or the like?
Anthony: So are you all willing to check this place out?
Matt (GM): They had metal knobs on them, no I didn’t see any knockers
Anthony: I figure there is a finders fee if you all find anything of value, normally 10%, but since your doing us a favor, i’d only like maybe half that to show you the location
James H.: OOC: And our fee will be …?
Jeff G.: Scar chokes on his mead
Anthony: I’m sorry, i thought that’s how this worked. i show you all a place to potentially find valuables, and you all give me a cut? Did I make a mistake?
Matt (GM): I’ll be ahppy to look elsewhere if you don’t like the terms, I bet someone is looking for a little adventure
Jeff G.: It sounded to us like you wanted us to take care of a potential problem for you
Matt (GM): No, I don’t see it as a problem. We’ve been here for 50 years and never even knew it was there, I thought it might be a chance for you all to find stuff and in the process give me a cut. i thought it would be a win-win for us both. i guess i was mistaken. I’m sorry to have wasted your time
Jeff G.: We go down and risk our lives… and you deserve a cut how?
Matt (GM): To show you where to go down into. It’s worth nothing to you if you do’t know where to go
Like I said, I’m sorry to have wasted your time. I suspect someone will be willing to explore that cave
i jsut asumed you all knew how the system worked. I show you a chance to make money and in return i get a cut.
James H.: Thaniel: So are you asking us to help you with this hole in the ground because you think it is a danger, or because you think it might be worth something to you?
Matt (GM): But I can see Ierred.
You’re not really helping me, other than potentially getting me some income, the hole is not a problem for me, unless my son decided to go back on his own and check it out
other than that I don’t feel at all threatened by it
James H.: When you presented your proposition last night we understood it that you needed help.
Matt (GM): I was looking to make a business deal to mke us both money. So what would it take for me to hire you to retrieve the contents of this hole for me?
James H.: If you are simply after a profit then I’m sure we can work out some arrangement
Matt (GM): If you’d rather handle it that way I suspect we can come to an arrangement
I’m only sking for 5%, i thought that was reasonable
I fully understand you all are doing the dirty work and risking your lives
but, isn’t that what adventurers do? You did say you were adventurers, didn’t you?
Jeff G.: Reg thinks: 5% is not that much. Scar thinks: show us where the hole is and we won’t kill you. Neither is sure how the rest of the party would react.
James H.: Thaniel: 5% would not be unreasonable.
Matt (GM): Lareniel: Sir, may we have a few moments to discuss this amoung ourselves?
Lareniel: I think we can come to an agreement, but we’d like a bit of time

Matt (GM) Lareniel looks at the otehrs for confirmation
James H.: Maynard and Thaniel nod in agreement
Jeff G.: Reg nods
Scar fingers his dagger
Anthony: I’ll be happy to give you time. I’ll be back inteh dining room when you would like to talk further
Jeff G.: Scar: We’re not really gong to pay this guy for the privilege of cleaning out his hole???
James H.: Brother Maynard: If they have been here for 50 years or so and not even none of the existence of the hole then there is most likely nothing there, and probably of little value if there is
known, not none
Matt (GM): BTW, we’re approaching midnight real time, so we need to wrap this up shortly for the evening. We can certainly rejoin the conversation in progress next week
Jeff G.: Scar: If that’s the case, then why should we bother?
Reg: We do it for the thrill, old boy. What other reason is ther to do anything?
James H.: Brother Maynard: The rest of you were complaining last night that the tavern was boring and you wanted something to do…
Matt (GM): Kodana: can we ask him to guarenty a miminum profit on our part for the trouble?
Offer him the 5%, but he promises to make it worth at least 100 sp each or something?
James H.: Thaniel: say, we get 100 sp and he gets a cut of anything above that?
Matt (GM): Lareniel: we are adventurers and we might well gain some experience in this hole, that in itself is worth something
Jeff G.: Scar: And if we find absolutley nothing?
Matt (GM): Kodana, then he pays us each 100 sp
James H.: Then you’ve at least had a good meal and some fine mead
Jeff G.: Reg: Come now, it’s the looking, not the finding, that is truly important.
Matt (GM): Lareniel: In the end, I think I’d like to look around and “adventure”, maybe the 5% is nto too bad. Do you think he’d show us for 3%?
James H.: Thaniel: It may be nothing. It may be riches beyond your wildest dreams. You will never know unless you go see for st dreams, you wouldn’t want to miss your opportunity and let it slip from your hands into someone else’s would you?yourself. And if it is riches beyond your wilde
Jeff G.: Reg: Tell you what, Scar, if you feel that strongly about it, then maybe you can pick up the next round for us back at the tavern- if your purse isn’t empty, that is.
James H.: It may be nothing. It may be riches beyond your wildest dreams. You will never know unless you go see for yourself. And if it is riches beyond your wildest dreams, you wouldn’t want to miss your opportunity and let it slip from your hands into someone else’s would you?
Jeff G.: Scar: eityher Thaniel is repeating herself or that’s really good mead!
Matt (GM): Kodana: let’s offer him 5% of all teh cash we find down there. If we find items then they are ours free adn clear, we only split the cash
James H.: (Just trying to format it better for clarity)
Brother Maynard: Sounds fair enough, Kodana
Matt (GM): Kodana: otehrwise we have to get stuff appraised and maybe sell something we’d rather keep
Jeff G.: Scar: Wait, if we do this we’re going to at least insist on the guaranteed profit right? 100 sp each?
Matt (GM): Lareniel: I don’t mind asking that, but in the end, I’ll do it without the guarenty
James H.: If we don’t find enough in the hole to cover that amount, yes, we ask for 100 sp each as a guarantee
Jeff G.: Scar: Fine, I must be crazy, but I’m in.
Matt (GM): (Fast forward to talking to Anthony, is that OK?)
James H.: Anthony would probably balk at having to cover six month’s salary just to have the hole end up being empty
sure, let’s fast forward
Anthony: I can certainly understand you point, but the reason i’m interested is I don’t have a large supply of cash. I can promise you 100 sp TOTAL, but not each
Matt (GM): but I get the 5% coinage in the larger denominatons, not all in copper that you all don’t want
and gems and jewels are considered cash for the 5%?
Jeff G.: Scar, thinking to himself, a knife in the kidney would be so simple…
James H.: OOC: Such a violent little hobbit …
OOC: I’m willing to consider the gems and jewels value as part of his 5%
Anthony: or Ican take 5% of the coinage, nothing else, and no guarenty
Jeff G.: SCar OOC, Agree to whatever, then just steal it all from him when this is over.
James H.: OOC: Are we willing to do this for his terms of 5%, nothing else and no guarantee?
OOC: At thi s point I’d say take it
Jeff G.: I’m falling asleep
Matt (GM): My two are fine with that version. If we find even one gem we’re probbly ahead under this system
Let’s hold it just short of making the deal, and we’ll start witht he agreement and then pop to the dungeon entrance next week

View
Welcome to your campaign!
A blog for your campaign

Wondering how to get started? Here are a few tips:

1. Invite your players

Invite them with either their email address or their Obsidian Portal username.

2. Edit your home page

Make a few changes to the home page and give people an idea of what your campaign is about. That will let people know you’re serious and not just playing with the system.

3. Choose a theme

If you want to set a specific mood for your campaign, we have several backgrounds to choose from. Accentuate it by creating a top banner image.

4. Create some NPCs

Characters form the core of every campaign, so take a few minutes to list out the major NPCs in your campaign.

A quick tip: The “+” icon in the top right of every section is how to add a new item, whether it’s a new character or adventure log post, or anything else.

5. Write your first Adventure Log post

The adventure log is where you list the sessions and adventures your party has been on, but for now, we suggest doing a very light “story so far” post. Just give a brief overview of what the party has done up to this point. After each future session, create a new post detailing that night’s adventures.

One final tip: Don’t stress about making your Obsidian Portal campaign look perfect. Instead, just make it work for you and your group. If everyone is having fun, then you’re using Obsidian Portal exactly as it was designed, even if your adventure log isn’t always up to date or your characters don’t all have portrait pictures.

That’s it! The rest is up to your and your players.

View

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.