Roll20DND_1st

Getting to the Hole in the Ground

Our first adventure

Matt (GM): The deal on teh table is 5% of the cash, not counting gems, jewlery, or tiems. He get the larger demoniation coins where possible
No minimum profit guarentied
James H.: so far sounds as equitable as anything else
Jeff G.: After lots of hemming and hawing, Scar will finally accept that deal. I don’t see the need to play that out.
James H.: dman the GM disappeared
and he’s back
Matt (GM): I thought I saw a blip for a moment
So do you all want to start this afternoon or first thing in the morning?
asks Anthony
It’s about an hour’s walk from here
Jeff G.: Scar: “It’s always nightime underground. No point in waiting.”
James H.: OOC: sooner would be better if his son is in trouble. if he doesn’t feel there is a sense of urgency we could start in the morning
Matt (GM): Kodana: The sooner we start teh sooner we’ll finish
Jeff G.: Reg: “I wasn’t planning on anything else today.”
Matt (GM): The only trouble the son is in is not having told me where he was a walking before he headed out a few days ago. The hole doesn’t pose any threat that Anthony knows about
Other than being an unknown, which is always a bit scary
James H.: OOC: Sounds like we have a consensus to leave now
Matt (GM): Let’s go for it
Anthony: let me get my walking stick and we’ll head out.
Jeff G.: OOC: The longer we hang around here, the more likely Scar is going to think “screw 5%” and decide to ventilate Anthony’s kindneys.
Now, you may think that’s a good reason to wait longer,, or not.
Matt (GM): He disappears to teh back for a minutes and returns carrying a nice walking stick and a dog leash
As you all step out the front door, he whistles and two BIG dogs (well, Scar definitelys thinks they are big) come bounding up
James H.: no dog with the leash
Jeff G.: Scar, under his breath, “Dogs. I hate dogs.”
Matt (GM): When the dogs see you all they stop and the hair on their backs stand up a bit, but they don’t go off at you
Anthony walks up to one and clips the leash on, tells the other to stay and then turns to you all
Ready?
James H.: Certainly
Jeff G.: Now, if wew had pizza with us… their hair would still stand up. )-:
Matt (GM): This is Mud. He was born in a mud puddle and the name just stuck
Jeff G.: Scar: Mud has a way of doing that… sticking , I mean.
Matt (GM): I figure he’d like the walk and I’d like the company on the way back
That it does
James H.: Maynard: And a fine specimen of a dog, he is
Jeff G.: Reg does a slight, elvishy bow to Mud, cause elves are all more attuned to nature and all that.
Matt (GM): Yes, he really is a big dog, probaby weighs 100 pounds, sort of like a german sheppard, but bigger
James H.: part wolf, maybe?
Matt (GM): Probably
Reg is fairly sure there’s wolf blood in tehre somewhere
but he’s seems to be a nice enough dog and walks well on the leash
Jeff G.: Scar positions himself BEHIND the dog
Matt (GM): As Anthony said, it’s about an hour’s walk to the north and you’ll come to a valley between two hills
Anthony tells you that the hole is up this valley and heads into it
The valley has sort of steep sides (certainly easy to climb, but not easy to walk up)
The valley opens to the west
James H.: so if it rains, this place will fill up with water
Matt (GM): 5 minutes later (he looks like he’s getting a bit more nervous as he goes, and Mud seems to be feeding off he anxiousness
Jeff G.: Scar begins to shistle
Matt (GM): Well, it wold probalby become a nice stream goin out of the valley
Jeff G.: Whistle, that is
Matt (GM): Anthony: the hole is right up there (pointing toward the east) maybe 100 yards
Jeff G.: That was a quick mile
Matt (GM): Mud and I ‘ll just stay here if your OK with that
When you get out just come back to the farmhouse and I’ll be there
Jeff G.: Reg: We will, when we return. (bows)
Scar, under his breath: unless we find another exit.
Matt (GM): Thank you very much, adn nathony turns to walk back the way you all came
To his credit, he manages to walk back along the path, not run
Although he does peer back over his shoulder several times
James H.: Maynard: Does he seem a bit jittery to anyone else?
Jeff G.: Reginald scans the surroundings, looking for anything that would account for Anthony’s neervousness
Scar: Aye, he does. Don’t know why.
Matt (GM): Nothing special seems to be there. It’s a farily nice valley
Jeff G.: OOC: uness it’s the 100 zombies that are climbing out of the hole.
Matt (GM): The hole is indeed about 100 yards to the east, just to the west of a small grove of trees
More tothe norht than the west
but it is not really obscured by them from where you are
The hole is aobut 5’ wide and 10’ long, sort of pointed at the ends
Jeff G.: Reg: Well if I were paranoid, I would say it feels like we’re being set up for something, but I can’t imagine what.
Matt (GM): Inside it is dark, not supernaturally so, but dark. The sun is shining in and there is a beam of sun hitting the surface of the watrer about 40’ down
Jeff G.: Scar pulls a Pippen, finds a big rock and drops it into the hole, waiting for the splash
Matt (GM): it’s about a second and a hlaf until it hits
maybe a bit less
James H.: OOC: Fool of a Took!
Jeff G.: He makes a show of calculating the depth based on the amount of time, but he really has no idea
Matt (GM): There is a slight echo, but not too much, so the cavern is not too large
James H.: Did anyone bring rope?
Matt (GM): Someone has a 50’ coil
maybe even 2 of you all
Jeff G.: If nothing else, Anthony probably would have sold us some rope.
Is there a trunk or a sapling or a rock we can tie the rope around?
Matt (GM): Sure, that grove of trees is maybe 10’ from the hole
Map is about to shift
Jeff G.: OOC: but wait, is it ELVISH rope that will come when it’s called?
The map… it’s shifting!
Matt (GM): I know you’re not in a corridor yet, and I have no idea who is what letter, but at lesat we have some visuals now
did the map shift for you all?
Do you see six tokens in a corridor?
Jeff G.: yes
Matt (GM): THey are int he upper left corner of the map
Jeff G.: upper right
Matt (GM): true
it’s late
James H.: yep, the map shifted and there are four tokens!
no, six
Jeff G.: most of the map is still black, I am assuming that is intentional.
Matt (GM): yes
I have several battle setup’s on one map to make things easier
This is a generic corridor
So who goes first down the hole?
I assume a fighter type
Jeff G.: Reg will go
Fighter-thief, the primary skills to go 1st
Matt (GM): OK so Reg will go first, then how quickly do the rest follow him and in what order
Jeff G.: though he has abysmally lo hit points…
James H.: Tahniel will follow Reg
Brother Maynard will bring up the rear
Matt (GM): OK, and Larineil will come next
Do we wait for him to get off the rope before trying to climb it ourselves?
Jeff G.: Scar will go after Larinell
Matt (GM): And is he tied onthe rope and lowered, or do you climb down it?
Jeff G.: I believe Reg would prefer to be free to move
Matt (GM): climbing is d20-level versus dex, or a climb walls roll
Jeff G.: Reg has 85% climb walls
Matt (GM): you can use Roll20’s die roller or roll one yourself
if his dex is better than 16 he’s better off witht he d20-level
Jeff G.: rolling 1d100
(
1
)
= 1
Matt (GM): I’d say that made it nicely
you wanted 85 or less
Jeff G.: I assume that was a percentile roll
Matt (GM): You do a Xena style leap and tumble and make the Monk jealous
Jeff G.: testing
rolling 1d100
(
63
)
= 63
Matt (GM): The water is farily cold, but not dangerously so (unless you stay in it for a long time
Jeff G.: ok, just aa very good roll
Matt (GM): it is about 4’ deep +/- a foot depending on where you stand
Jeff G.: is there dry ground anywhere, or is it all water?
Matt (GM): The east end of hte cavern (it’s about a 30′ × 60′ cavern) has a small alnding on it
James H.: rolling 1d100
(
81
)
= 81
Matt (GM): While leaving the wolf encounter, one party member will step and fall into the hole above the pool of water. The pool is only 4’ deep and poses no hazard to anyone other than a hobbit in metal armor. Once your eyes adapt to the dark
you see that: You have just fallen about 40 feet and landed in a pool of water. The water is only about 4 feet deep. but it is quite dark in here and it will take a moment or two before you can really see anything. Once your eyes adapt you see that you are in a rather large room. It has nicely finished stone walls and a flat ceiling, other than around the area you fell in through, which is sort of a cone. The top of the cone is about 40’ above you.
The Pool: Looking around the room you see that the pool is about 30 feet x 60 feet with steps leading out on the east side to a flat landing about 15’ deep and 30’ wide. There is a table and chairs on the left side and a fire pit on the right side.
forget the wolf stuff, I cut and psted too much from an old adventure
Jeff G.: Reg will head to the landing
Matt (GM): The others can start heading down
The landing is 15′ × 30′ and the back wall has three doors on it
By the time you get to the landing, the next person will be down to the water
etc.
James H.: I figured it was just proof that Anthony’s canine was part or all wolf
Matt (GM): – The landing is 15’ by 30’ and has a table and chairs at the north end and a fire pit with grill at the south. There are three doors on the east wall and a pool of water on the west. The fire pit has about 12" worth of ash in the bottom. To the left of the fire pit is a small pile of wood, mostly decayed now. The north and south doors do not lock, the central one does and is locked.
it takes a few round to investigae all that, so at least most of the party is there by now if not all of it
The dwarf and the hobbit and not too happy about being underwater. Kodana accepts it as part of beign underground, but I suspect Scar is not happy at all
I assume that he doesnot swim either?
being a hobbit and all
Jeff G.: I rather doubt it
Matt (GM): It’s certainly not life threatening, but to hear Scar tell about it you’d think the world was about to end
Jeff G.: Scar probably flounders about in the water until someone assists him
James H.: Brother Maynard will give the poor little hobbit a hand
Matt (GM): Kodana jus holds her breathand walks along the bottom tot he landing
Jeff G.: Screaming and yelling, and don’t expect him to show any gratitude
Matt (GM): Nice to know that all wandering monsters within 300’ know you all are here
Jeff G.: Meanwhile, Reg is goig to attempt to unlock the middle door- though he’ll FART it first
Matt (GM): roll it
Jeff G.: rolling 1d100
(
6
)
= 6
rolling 1d100
(
99
)
= 99
rolling 1d100
(
97
)
= 97
rolling 1d100
(
10
)
= 10
Matt (GM): wow, you’re on a streak
Jeff G.: rolling 1d100
(
43
)
= 43
rolling 1d100
(
60
)
= 60
Matt (GM): There were no traps you found (roll=6)
Jeff G.: don’t know where that second roll came from
Matt (GM): you then tried to remove a non-existant trap and fialed (roll=99)
Then you tried to unlock the door and rolled a 97, so that failed
and I don’t know what the 10 was for?
Jeff G.: I have no idea why all those rolls happened
I was trying to type a comment and all those rolls popped up instead
but if you want, the 10 can be Scar’s unlock roll
Matt (GM): OK, want to hit reset on the FART roll and try them one at a time?
That works for me
Jeff G.: either way,
Matt (GM): however it will be a few minutes before Scar can settle down enough after nearly drowning to try it
Jeff G.: naturally
Matt (GM): After 3 or 4 minutes of sputtering anc cursing, Scar regains his composure and unlocks the central door
but he has not yet opened it, just unlocked it
Jeff G.: He just casually walks up, still coughing and sputtering, and barely looking at the door he unlocks it.
Matt (GM): I know, he asks Reg if he looked under the mat for the key
Jeff G.: “What? I’m supposed to open it too? You combat types can open it, I just unlock it. [cough, cough]”
Matt (GM): The area behidn the door is a 10’ wide corridor
Jeff G.: Scar backs away form the door.
Matt (GM): What is your light source?
Jeff G.: Reg: We do have 2 other doors as well. Unlocking the one is certainly a good start, but that doesn’t necessrily mean that’s the one we want to open first."
Matt (GM): In the cavern it’s not too bad due to the sun, but behind this door you can expect it to be dark
Jeff G.: “Hey! I don’t need light to unlock a door! I’m that good!”
Matt (GM): Has anyone else been investiageing these other doors while Scar regained his breath?
Kodana wold have if no one else wanted to, unless she were cautioned not to by the party
The left door:
A 10′ × 10′ food storage room. There were 3 crates of dried fruit and 2 crates of jerky, as well as 3 barrels of ale in the room, but all is now spoiled. There are also 2 dozen empty crates and barrels.
James H.: Maynard has 20% chance to FART a door
Matt (GM): Oh, Kodana just waked up and opened the left door, sorry about that
walked
Jeff G.: you already said the 23 outer doors were unlocked
Matt (GM): yes, tehy are, but they cold still be trapped
Jeff G.: 2 doors, not 23
Matt (GM): Kodana never considered that possibility
Jeff G.: technically that is true, but I bet I could count on the fingers of 1 hand the number of times we found a door that was unlocked but trapped.
Matt (GM): true
Jeff G.: People who trap doors have this obsessive compulsion to lock them as well
Matt (GM): Anyway, is anyone else going to open teh right door?
Jeff G.: exception: hidden or secret doors
Matt (GM): granted
Jeff G.: my 2 guys were both on the center door
James H.: Maynard will FART the right door
rolling 1d100
(
79
)
= 79
Jeff G.: go for it
Matt (GM): No clue if it is or is not trapped
Jeff G.: It wasn’t trapped before: it is now
James H.: Well, he’s got a 25% chance to open the lock
Matt (GM): you are, however, very convinced that it is indeed an unlocked door
roll it
James H.: rolling 1d100
(
10
)
= 10
Woohoo!
Matt (GM): Wel done, you here an audidle click and the door locks
James H.: Pbpbpbptpffff!
Matt (GM): :)
Jeff G.: But did he set a trap on it?
Matt (GM): Actually, there is no locking mechanism on the outer two doors anyway
so it does not lock, but it was fun to say it did
it is, for all intensive purposes, an unlocked, untrapped door
Jeff G.: “Brother Maynard, did you perchance learn your lockpicking at a place called Texas A&M?”
James H.: Why, yes, ys I did. Why do you ask?
Jeff G.: Can we look in the room?
Matt (GM): A 10′ × 10′ storage room for wood. There used to be several piles of wood in this room. The piles are still remnant. It is decidedly cooler in this room than in the outer chamber.
Jeff G.: Ok, let’s figure out light source and then open the middle door, which has undoubtably untold hordes of enenmies behind it.
Matt (GM): are the doors of the outer two rooms left open or closed?
Jeff G.: Scar pulls a torch out of his backpack, tries to shake all the water off of it, then throws it down in disgust.
We leave them exactly as we found them.
Matt (GM): It probably takes 15 minutes to get a flint and steel to light a torch, but eventually you al have a lit torch
Jeff G.: right, who wants to open the middle door?
Scar will pass.
James H.: Whoever want to open the door take one step forward

James H. takes a step back
Matt (GM): LARINEIL WILL STEP UP AND OPEN THE DOOR
James H.: both my characters step back
Matt (GM): silly caps lock
Jeff G.: Reg will open it, but figures a full fledged fighter really ought to be the guy.
Matt (GM): Behind the door is a long smooth 10’ wide corridor. Your light only lights about 60’ in front of you. There is a door on the right at the 50’ point and one on the left at 60’. As you walk down to the doors, the corridor continues beyond the range of the light.
Thusly
I guess they’re not doors but side corridors
that will eventually lead to doors
Jeff G.: the doors are invisible
Shall we proceed, then?
James H.: let’s proceed
Matt (GM): COrridor, very long, very dark, you go first
Jeff G.: Need we set marching order yet?
Matt (GM): Not really
When we get to doors it will be important
I’ll use “A” as a party marker
I assum eyou all can see what i am revealing on the map?
Jeff G.: I assume so
I asm seeing things, whether it’s what you want me to see, well I dunno
James H.: I’m seeing things on the map
Jeff G.: we are apparently looking down the corridor to the right.
Matt (GM): At least you are seeing things
Jeff G.: Maybe we should see a doctor…
Matt (GM): or to the left, you see them both and I figure you’ll glance down the second even if you decide to investiage the first first
Jeff G.: but the party marker is on the right corridor
Matt (GM): yes
if you all want to go to the left, just tell me and we’ll go there (or you can even SPLIT THE PARTY and go to them both at once)
Jeff G.: why don’t we LOOK down both of them, and see if we see, if you see what I mean
afterwards, we can GO down one or both of them
Matt (GM): Both of them end at a door at the edge of what you currently see onthe map
Jeff G.: I see
Matt (GM): 25’ of 5’ wide corridor and then a door at the end
Jeff G.: “Which one, Randal?”
James H.: let’s go right
Jeff G.: right it is, tyhen
Matt (GM): So Scar goes to one door and Reg goes to teh other and they FART at teh same time?
Jeff G.: So are we saying that Scar is dyslexic?
Matt (GM): my teh’s?
As it gets later and later my typing goes down hill more and more
Jeff G.: no, we’re on different tracks completely.
James H.: let’s take the doors one at a time
Matt (GM): Pick A or B
Jeff G.: We said ‘go right’ and you had Scar and Reg going to oposite doors, so obviously Scar must be dyslexic.
Matt (GM): Sorry, I missed the “right” comment
my bad
We’re good
James H.: bad GM, no cookiej
Matt (GM): It is worth lineing up now
Do you fill the corridor?
We’ll assign positions in a moment
James H.: Let’s be foolish and line up in the corridor
Jeff G.: Well, A must be either Scar or Reg
Matt (GM): There is a nameplate onthe door that says: Rennial
Jeff G.: let’s say Reg on the off chance that there’s fighting just beyond the door
Matt (GM): So Reg is “A”
James H.: Thaniel will be behind REg
Matt (GM): Really it’s not a big deal this time, but it’s nice to have a structure
Thaniel is “B”
Kodana should be eitehr D or E
James H.: Maynard will bring up the rear
Jeff G.: I figure Scar is F. But he should move 1 square down; he’s up against the other wall, right next to the other corridor
exactly
Matt (GM): OK
Anyway, the door is not trapped, but it is locked
Jeff G.: best place for a back is against a wall
rolling 1d100
(
54
)
= 54
It’s still locked.
Matt (GM): Next try?
don’t worry abou tshifting the order right now
just roll it
James H.: rolling 1d100
(
76
)
= 76
Jeff G.: Scar will try
rolling 1d100
(
25
)
= 25
James H.: Brother Maynard did not unlock it
Jeff G.: rolling 1d100
(
77
)
= 77
Matt (GM): Why two rolls?
Jeff G.: yes!
Matt (GM): The first got it
THe door is now unlocked
Jeff G.: stupid program
I was commenting on my brilliant roll, but the computer obviosly thought I was still rolling dice.
Matt (GM): 15′ × 15′ bedroom. It has a bed, a chest, and a chair. The bed is fixed nicely and there is a stuffed teddy bear sitting on it. A hand knitted spread is sitting on the chest. The chest is not locked. In it you will find various personal effects. After digging are reading papers for a few minutes you can determine that this room was occupied by Rennial, a servant of Lord Andap. It appears that the Lord died in the year 937.
Jeff G.: When I hit the enter key, it rolled the die again instead of printing my awesome text
Matt (GM): (it si now the year 1015)
Jeff G.: Scar will pull out his dagger and find out exactly what the teddy bear is stuffed with.
Matt (GM): looks like raw wool
Jeff G.: sheisse
no valuables hidden within the wool?
Matt (GM): nope
James H.: Maynard: Hey, that teddy bear was loved by someone once. have a little respect
Matt (GM): there’s probably 5-10 silver peices of stuff in the room
a candle stick or two, the chair, etc, but no “treasure” is in here
Jeff G.: Scar: Respect and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
James H.: Do we know anything about Lord Andap? any lore, legends, gossip, etc?
Jeff G.: He liked teddy bears.
Matt (GM): Not really, the name is sort of familiar, but no one remembers anything specific about him
James H.: At least his servant Rennial did
Jeff G.: any other exits?
Matt (GM): nope
neither normal nor secret
Jeff G.: try the other door, I guess
Matt (GM): Name plate says: Anzovin
Jeff G.: locked?
Matt (GM): yes, but no trap
Jeff G.: reg will try the lock
Matt (GM): this is a simpler lock, +10 to unlock
Jeff G.: rolling 1d100
(
72
)
= 72
Scar will try the lock
rolling 1d100
(
99
)
= 99
Matt (GM): it used to be a simpler lock, now it is a high security lock
Jeff G.: definitely locked
Brother Maynard?
James H.: rolling 1d100
(
78
)
= 78
Yes, it is locked alright
Matt (GM): Do we kick through it, or go further?
Jeff G.: let’s go on; we can try it again on the way out
Matt (GM): Judging by the last room , if this is similiar, kicking it should be simple enough
James H.: I guess let’s move on and come back to this one
(everybody remember we have to come back to this one on the way back out of here)
Matt (GM): and I think we’ll also call it a night here
Jeff G.: sounds reasonable
James H.: fair enough
I’ve got to get up early in the morning to head to Dallas
Matt (GM): we’ll start back up next week
I have to give a final exam in the morning
Jeff G.: gotta get my oil changed in the am
James H.: is that the last final of the semester or do you have others you have to administer later?
Matt (GM): This is hte last for this semester
With luck I’ll finish grading over the weekend and be done with it until August
James H.: woohoo!
Jeff G.: yea!
Matt (GM): Talk to you all next week
good night
James H.: be seeing you
Jeff, you’ve still got a key to the house?

Comments

mmwDoval

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.